Bermudiana Flower

Bermudiana Flower
Bermudiana Flower

Sunday 29 July 2018

Listening

A few times during my day, I take a few deep breaths in through my nose, and breathe out slowly through my mouth.  Doing what I call controlled breathing for mind relaxation.  Then, I sit (or stand, or lay) quietly with my eyes closed.  For 15 seconds or 30 seconds, perhaps even a minute, breathing slowly and quietly.  I take this time to pause, quiet my mind and just listen.

I try to notice what I hear.  I don't think of things on my to-do list, or what I have to accomplish next, or what I'm having for dinner, or who I need to call.  I just listen to find out what I can hear.

listen...

Sometimes I hear a cat meow, a dog bark or a bird whistle.  I smile.  Sometimes I hear the fan pushing the air above me, or the motor running in the air condition unit.  Sometimes I hear a clock ticking.  I smile.  I also feel the beat of my heart, which is slowing down, as I become more relaxed.

Maybe I hear a distant sound of a car pass by or a toot of a horn.  I may hear the wind pick up and shake the leaves on the trees.  I may hear someone talking outside somewhere.  I don't want to know what they are saying, I ignore it and move on to what else I can hear.

It's quite inspiring just to take those short moments in time to just listen and not think or speak.  When I'm done from what I call a "mini mind vacation", I bring myself back to the present and open my eyes, usually always smiling at the peaceful moment I just experienced, and get back to what I was doing beforehand.  Life just is a little bit better and easier when I can move on with a fresh mind.

Each night before bed, if I heard something of interest that made me smile more, in particular, I will write it in my notebook for my future self to read when I'm older, to remind me of good times.

Why don't you try it.  It can possibly give you a smile and it doesn't cost anything.
Cheers! B.

No comments:

Post a Comment