Bermudiana Flower

Bermudiana Flower
Bermudiana Flower

Monday 20 January 2020

You're Only As Happy as You Want To Be

This is a true statement... you're only as happy as you want to be.

Situations change, circumstances, change, things don't go as planned and unexpected things happen.  How you choose to deal with them, the choices you make (you always have at least two choices), and how you choose to feel are all important for your well being.

The other evening, as a spontaneous decision, Chris wanted to go to the local Chinese restaurant for a quick dinner before heading home.  It was getting late and to buy groceries for dinner on the way home, and cook a dinner was going to mean we wouldn't eat until maybe 9pm.  This was, it was 7:30pm so he offered to eat out, which I said sure.  We were the only customers there.

I used to really enjoy eating at this restaurant.  The menu had changed and been minimized greatly, which was okay, but the typical choices I had before were no longer available.  So I chose a new appetizer and main meal I've never had before, and sadly to say, I was very disappointed in both.  They both lacked flavour, the appetizer was very dry, and the chicken and cashew dish was fairly tasteless and had an awful aroma.

However, Chris enjoyed his appetizer and his meal was just okay he said, so it wasn't a complete bomb of an evening, but we decided we won't go back.  Such a shame as I used to enjoy the meals and I think whatever changes they've made in the kitchen on how they prepare or cook their food was not a good change for us.  While we won't talk bad about the experience, we just won't choose to go there anymore.  Two more couples came in while we were eating, but the place was kind of empty.

The high-light of the evening was in between the appetizer and meal, a song played over the background radio that he loved, and he got up and asked me to dance.  So he took my hand and we danced on the floor in between the 4 tables where we were sitting, and giggled and danced in each other's arms for a few minutes before taking our seats again.  That was a fun way to pass time waiting for our meal to arrive.  I can say I've never done that before!  It was funny - we giggled about it a couple of times since.

So my experiences are to make the most of your situation, you may not like or enjoy things that happen, but if you take the time to have some enjoyment, or just a laugh, no matter if it's for only a couple of minutes, or a couple of hours you can experience happiness.  While we could have been disgruntled by our dinner, we chose to do something that took our minds off of it and turned the evening into a happy memory.

I don't spread hatred.  I spread joy.  If I can't share in joy, then I be still or am quiet until the next opportunity arises.  It's the best way to be to be as happy as I can as many times that I am able.

Be charitable by being kind and smile at others.  Hold doors open.  Help someone in any small way you can.  These decisions bring internal happiness.  Happiness is free.  Spread it abundantly. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment